I figured we would do some chicken and some veggie today. The Veggie is done first, so I'll post it first.
If you have never made your own stock before, you should. Do a taste test. Heck, have fun with it, do a blind taste test with your family. What is that you say? Your family doesn't think that would be fun? Ok Ok so maybe we are a little abnormal.
In any case...Laurie was a great prep/sous-chef today! Her knife skills are about 100x faster than they were last year. The recipe calls for the basics, onion, carrot, celery(root), and some herbs and spices.
We substituted black for white peppercorns, and we used up all of our celery root for our chicken stock (which is still on the stove, so I'll post later!) so Laurie substituted just regular celery, albeit a bit less. About a little under half less.
After about 40 minutes on a low low low, barely, not even, maybe, a bubble, simmer, I layed some cheese cloth over a bowl, inside a strainer, and strained away.
A quick taste test, and yep, it's better than any boxed stock, and you won't die of a sodium overdose from this one!
We doubled the recipe and came up with 2 quarts that we will save in pint tupperware. We need to get some of those cheap tupperwares...we go through tupperware like crazy and always get the expensive kind. I need like a 100ct. of those chinese-food pint ones. You figure that Hong Kong supermarket would have some right? nope. Santa? do you read our blog?
The chicken stock is on the stove as I post this...I will then make some carrot stock to squirrel away.






No comments:
Post a Comment