Who wins? We both do. I made roasted bone marrow.
Yes, I know it's completely unrelated to this dish, this cook book, or this restaurant. But I know damn well someone in the Nicholas kitchen, as well as anyone following this blog, understands my love for snacking on bone marrow. If not, hit up Blue Ribbon in NYC late night (around 2am is good) and order the bone marrow to start, some fried chicken, and some sweetbreads.
Laurie, made the Shrimp Tempura. It was a simple tempura batter with some cake flour, and the sauce was a mixture of the following, with some chili's and some corn starch to thicken it.
This has to be my most used pan in the kitchen. For real.
I'm not sure if those are Thai chili's but they were 1.99 for about 150 of them from Hong Kong Supermarket.
We got 41-50 shrimp and halved them. I won't lie, these were frozen, so don't tell the food Nazi's...I know. A little part of me is crying too.
We really got the most out of this pot of oil this week! From the Potato Pancakes to some sweet potato chips I made, to the shrimp. I don't feel bad throwing it out now.
A blender...I need. A deep fryer. I do not. I'm also getting pretty good at oil burns on my arms/hands.
We did the first few on skewers for the picture, and then just threw the rest in. Hey, we're cookin' all day, this is snack time! Popcorn tempura shrimp.
Laurie ate them as such.
The look on her face is about the same look I have when eating bone marrow on a piece of toasty bread, so we are even!
One to try and match the book.

My thoughts: Well, I tasted them, and I'm not a shrimp guy...they were pretty snack-worthy. I think they are a pretty good hors d'oeuvre, but may be a bitch to do it with guests waiting. I suppose if you prep everything before hand and just throw them in the fryer it would be easier. They are pretty good though, and the sauce, while not too spicy, was pretty good too.
Up next: We made a hot starter out of the book last night too...stay tuned.








No comments:
Post a Comment