11.27.2009

Curry Marinated Lamb with Curry Yogurt

Here is an easy one.  We did this as an hors d'oeuvre for our recent 'ultimate Nicholas dinner #1'

Get some good lamb loin. It will cost you. But, everthing else in this dish is super cheap.

Trim it up as per the recipe.
 
 Get some good curry and toast it up, but here's a tip...DON'T leave your favorite little Emeril pan on high heat for 10 minutes while prepping, before you toss the curry in. Because...you know what happens? You'll cry. Not because your curry will burn, but because your eyes and nose will...and your wife will hit you, repeatedly, for being such an idiot.

Marinate the lamb with some oil and such as per the recipe...then use the rest of the curry for the yogurt.

My curry wasn't as strong a flavor as Nicholas', or, I didn't toast enough the second time around (after I burnt it the first time) so I added a bit more.

When your guests arrive....simply plate the sauce...and sear the lamb!

Ok, I won't lie. That plate, I bought just to plate this dish as the dish in the picture was black, and I saw this one for 1.99 at target. It's plastic. (We're getting better at the swoopy spoon sauce plating thing too huh?)

I should have used a bigger pan to get a more uniform 'square' sear like the picture in the book, but, I had a guest sitting at the table. These only take a minute or two.

One to match the book (although from the other angle, sorry!)



Closing thoughts. Super simple. Super delicious. Don't overcook. Don't leave the stove. Don't burn the curry. I always soak my skewers too, but since these only take a minute or two, I don't think it's necessary. The lamb loin was fetched for about 12$ at Whole Foods. I want a cast iron pan for Xmas. But...not a regular ol' new Lodge one. I want someones grandmother to pass away....I mean, I want one that's been used by someones grandmother for 50 years, hasn't been washed, and is well seasoned. 

I'll throw this dish into my regular rotation for sure. You can prep way ahead of time, and it takes 2 minutes to cook.

Next up: This weekend is a cooking extraveganza. Plan on at least 3 new posts/recipes by Monday.




No comments:

Post a Comment